Page 5 of 14 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 next Page »

RE: New Kampa awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:04 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

They are more of a hybrid with an inflatable arch at the front and three poles to hold out the roof. They are very heavy too.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:47 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Magpie wrote in post #61
They are more of a hybrid with an inflatable arch at the front and three poles to hold out the roof. They are very heavy too.

That sounds more reasonable, I had a clear out in the airing cupboard a while back and dumped 2 tents (I keep all sorts of stuff in there on the top shelf)

But I kept all the sectional fibreglass poles for the tents with the idea they would strengthen sunshades and awnings where the makers cut corners weight wise

I have plans to use a shortened one on a WIGO Ultralight Sun canopy, if I ever get round to using it again

At the last count I have 4 sunshades and am still exploring the possibilities of utilising the WIGO vario caravan canopy

g25p2363-P.html

I must admit air awnings appeal to me as a single traveller but a porch awning if needed seems a more sturdy alternative.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:30 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

My take on this is - what would I prefer :
steel poles being bent in high winds and canvas being ripped and flying everywhere and the possibility of severe
damage to the Eriba or it's widows or somebody else's pride and joy

or the possibility of a very wobbly piece of canvas over a couple of air filled tubes, with luck causing very little
damage to other property ?

Just my thoughts

chezmart and like this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:13 am
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

One advantage that I do not recall being mentioned is the advantage of not having to avoid bashing your pride and joy with a metal pole. Alaways a possibility in tense awning moments.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
Poptop320, Ribski and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:00 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

So, today was the day - unpacked and fitted 340 Kampa to Triton 410.
Very disappointed to find that it is wrong in just so many ways.
The keder pull out is in evidence - I only took it up to 7psi and the strain on the stitching is clearly massive.
The cord end itself is not sewn in (at least on mine) but there is no way on earth I would cut away any of the keder as that point is the axis of the force from the top curving strut and either of the side horizontals - I can see it pulling apart in no time.
Second issue is that quite simply that the rail height and the front arch height are so out of synch that the front arch tilts badly, there is so much slack in the side that meets the van that it can never be lost with pegging - and so the side is all sloppy.
By putting a 6" high stool under the foot of the front arch it brings it up to a point where the roof sides level up nicely.
The design is good, once you actually got it into the awning rail it goes up very easily and creates a great space - but the implementation has really let this awning down - as did I with more than a little despondency.
In the 2 side on pics I have shown the profile as attached and then with the stool under the foot of the arch which brings the roof line up to a point where the window looks right and the side presents properly to the van.
Obviously this has nor been pegged but no amount of pushing and pulling would create a shape you'd want to peg in the first place.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Image00006.jpg 
 Image00008.jpg 
 Image00011.jpg 

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 am
by Keef (deleted)

Why are these awnings still for sale?
1. Revenue stream for manufacturer and supplier.
2. The customer regardless of cost and stress is conducting field trials allowing manufacturer to gauge scale and type of problems. At no cost to the manufacturer.
It's not only the cost it's the spoilt holiday.

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:57 am
by Keef (deleted)

Also in addition to my post above.
Is the Keda cut fix briefed to the customer at the point of sale.
For example "There have been some problems sir .........Should this problem occur there is a fix, the details of which are within the awning bag, in summary the issue is......."
The fix is in the public domain, should it be briefed to each customer?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:47 am

I wouldn't swear to it but it looks like they are being shipped from one source with the adjustment already done

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...&type=3&theater

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:14 pm
by Keef (deleted)

Interesting. The problems seem to be growing rambling robin needed stools beneath the main tube and the Facebook entry seems to be struggling with the amount of skirt available to tuck inside the awning.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:16 pm
by bogbean (deleted)

Not sure about that.....whether an adjustment has been made to the keder.it's my photo you are referring to above and I bought the awning at the v beginning of Feb.

Last edited Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:18 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi!

This is the keder on my new 340 awning - as you can see there's quite a difference between that and yours - hence the assumption that yours (from AL???) had been modified.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 keder_pull_out_1.jpg 
 keder_pull_out_2.jpg 
 sb keder.jpg 

Last edited Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:49 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:08 pm
by bogbean (deleted)

Yes from AL

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:58 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

I put this in with ideas for the gutter strip. Probably the wrong place and better here. Just a thought. On this awning - see photos - there is a ring firmly attached at each end of tape of the bit that goes through the awning rail (Keder strip?) I can't remember if it's a D ring or a round one but any way quite strong. At one end a guyline is attached to the ring by means of a carabiner. The guyline then goes right round the back of the van through the awning rail. It is attached to the ring at the other side, again using a carabiner,IMG_4653.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_4654.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) but this time using a loop with a guy line runner (preferably plastic so as not to scratch the van) to allow you to tension the guyline well thus holding the awning tight and presumably stopping the ends of the Keder strip coming out. Sorry the photos are not very clear but I had to crop radically to zoom in on the detail. Perhaps the idea could be adapted for the Kampa. Means adding something on rather that cutting bits off!!

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 am

Just a little extra awkwardness - the 2010 Hymer data sheet shows that Triton range could have been on 13" or 14" rims!
The difference is not huge but if height is already an issue then an extra 1" (25.4mm) won't help.

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:38 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Rim size does not necessarily mean a difference in height depending on the aspect ratio of the tyre. I doubt it will make any difference.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

Page 5 of 14 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 next Page »

Visitors
2 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105708 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2