Page 6 of 14 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 next Page »

RE: New Kampa awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:20 pm
by Citroeriba (deleted)

Just trial fitted our new 340 (ex AL) awning to our Triton 430 Touring GT 2001. We did have to make the Kampa amendment to the Keder beading both ends as there was no way that the bead would stay in the track at the ends. It does seem to work although I am dubious about the long term situation - I can forsee the awning pulling the bead from the rail. With hindsight must admit should have waited for mk2 version. However, the awning does sit quite nicely at the correct angle,
Not able to peg it out on the forecourt but should get away in two weeks time. Not yet fitted the weatherstrip.....

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm
by Argie (deleted)

Quote: Citroeriba wrote in post #76
However, the awning does sit quite nicely at the correct angle,

The Kampa awning seems to sit quite well on pre-2010 models.... However on models post 2010 with the higher awning rail the awning appears to slope at an acute angle with the windows at the sides leaning away from the van...... It does look a little odd...

Interesting that in the Kampa Awnings 2017 booklet most of the images they have chosen to display of the awning on Eribas are with pre 2010 models.
There are just two shots with a post 2010 model.... one is a partial shot so you can't see any slope and the other is a 3/4 shot which minimizes the slope......

In fairness to Brian at AL he did point out to me before I bought it that there would be a slope when fitted to my 2015 Troll .....
I had also noted the odd slope to the awning in some of the images I had seen of it on line.... ie Norwich Camping....

Mine has been up on site now for 14 days.... The beading has not pulled out any further even in some very brisk winds..... We have had some rain and experienced no leaks so far......

"Tugging a Troll called Eva" with my Honda CRV 2.2L i-DTEC
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am
by Pootle (deleted)

I have exactly that problem, just tried to put mine up as try out prior to next weekends first trip with Eriba Triton and Kampa 430 awning. It keeps pulling out at the entry point as the beading looks too narrow. Any idea how to remedy this?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:04 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

There are 2 solutions - it depends on how bad your pull out is - mine is minimal but height problem is totally unacceptable.

'Fits where it touches' on an £800+ awning????

One is to use the 'Isabella' awning clip - other types are available, you'll find info in this thread or the big Awning Strip thread.

T'other is to hack a lump off the keder strip at each end sufficient to ensure that the strip is only actually fitted into the flat part of the rail, avoiding the corners.
According to Kampa this will not invalidate your warranty - though obviously your resale chances may be reduced. See attached.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 kampa-keder-cut.jpg 

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 pm
by Argie (deleted)

Quote: Keef wrote in post Awning gutter strip
Hi, in paricular.Eribamotters.
I have done my research, in addition to moaning. I phoned Kampa on Monday 10/04/17 and asked to speak with Mark Lawless the MD. Laura answered the phone and said he was not available at that moment and did he know me, to which I replied no. Laura said he would not return a call to someone he did not know. I explained briefly the reason for my call, she spoke with one of her colleagues who said I need to speak with Max Lawless who returns from leave Tuesday 18/04/17.
Due to level of activity on this forum, I tried once again this morning to speak with Mark Lawless. Mark is on leave until 18/04/17.
It is my intention to speak with Max as advised.

As this debate has come up again does anyone know if 'Keef' has shared the outcome of his proposed telephone conversation with the MD of Kampa yet?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: rambling robin wrote in post #79
There are 2 solutions - it depends on how bad your pull out is - mine is minimal but height problem is totally unacceptable.

'Fits where it touches' on an £800+ awning????

One is to use the 'Isabella' awning clip - other types are available, you'll find info in this thread or the big Awning Strip thread.

T'other is to hack a lump off the keder strip at each end sufficient to ensure that the strip is only actually fitted into the flat part of the rail, avoiding the corners.
According to Kampa this will not invalidate your warranty - though obviously your resale chances may be reduced. See attached.
It's not really any of my business since I don't have a vested interest in this, but I would respectfully suggest that there is only one solution, not two.

That one solution is for Kampa to get this right, like they should have in the first place.

This thing is designed for Eribas. You simply shouldn't have to hack lumps off, clip things on or bodge it in any way at all.

yy-R56kh

, Poptop320, Magpie, , , Williebraveheart and like this post!
Last edited Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:45 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:56 pm
by Argie (deleted)

I agree ....That is why I would be interested to know the outcome of Keefs proposed conversation with the MD.....

One point of interest....In the past Kampa have always said that they don't make awnings for specific caravans and that it was up to the purchaser to ensure the awning will fit their caravan.... This appears to be the first 'specific fit awning' thay have ventured into....

As it doesn't actually fit too well I can see why they haven't done it before....

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:18 pm
by Keef (deleted)

Hello, this issue is ruining my caravanning experience. I have returned my awning. Spoke to Kampa expressed my concerns, closed the conversation. Sent an email to repeat my telecon. No reply to date.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm
by Argie (deleted)

Thanks for the latest update Keef......
If and when you do get a reply I would be interested to hear what they actually come up with in answer to your complaint/concerns.....

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 01, 2017 5:03 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

After a bit of to and fro I took my 340 awning and 2017 Triton 410 down to Campers and Leisure at Bournemouth who supplied the awning originally. It was more a case of them being able to see for themselves what the problem was as they hadn't sold to an Eriba owner before. They demo the Kampa awnings on Trigano Silvers all the time and so they know how it should go up. In fairness it took about 5 minutes to realise all is not well with this setup and they immediately refunded the cost of the awning plus extras that we had bought. They took pics to add to the ones I supplied to pass on to Kampa.
I cannot fault Campers and Leisure in any way - excellent service throughout and sadly they are just caught in the middle.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 01, 2017 8:11 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

That is correct and superb service from your supplier. The only way Kampa are going to do anything is for more people to return their awnings. I cannot believe that someone is willing to spend several hundred pounds on a purchase and then cut it to perhaps make it fit on the recommendation of the manufacturer. That sounds like brush off to me.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 02, 2017 10:20 am
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

I am watching this with interest as I have been contemplating a full size awning and the air awning is something I am particularly interested in, however it appears that the the Kampa awning is especially not compatible with the taller Eribas. Pictures on FB show the earlier Eriba models look ok, but posts showing the post 2010 models with bits under the air tubes to add extra height and pictures of dramatic sloping angles and the requirement to cut the beading to stop it pulling out isn't inspiring me confidence to buy one.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 15, 2017 2:11 pm
by Old Rocker | 489 Posts

Well hate to be the contrary one but so far we are very happy with our Kampa awning we have used it twice now and are getting better at putting it up each time. Using the Isabella clips certainly stopped the awning cord pulling out, as it did slightly the first time. Apart from the weight when putting it into the awning rail the 2 of us seem to cope quite wel with it. We had it up for 6 nights in Looe last month and for 5 nights in Lochgilphead last week. No poles makes it so easy to put up and down.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20170325_105701.jpg 

Troll 530, Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI

What looks large from a distance, close up, ain't never that big

Poptop320, , , Keith and Sue, and like this post!
Last edited Mon May 15, 2017 2:18 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 15, 2017 5:58 pm
by Argie (deleted)

Your awning does sit well on your pre-2010 model Eriba which bears out the point I made in my post number77....

On my 2015 model it slopes quite a lot due to the higher awning rail but having said that, the slightly odd sideways view is something that i can live with, after all it is supposed to be a 'universal' fit which means compromise....
Like you Anne & I cope with the weight OK while threading it through the rail..... Our beading pulls out each side but always to the same point at the start of the curved shape of the van and has never got any worse by pulling out any further.

The awning offers a nice and bright space in which to sit when on site and has proved to be pretty watertight in heavy rain such as we had yesterday....

We have now errected the awning 5 times and lowered it 4 times and it has now had 41 nights of use so far.
Overall I am quite pleased with the awning, however I would be far happier with it if the fit on the later Eribas was as good as it is on the earlier vans....

Poptop320, and Keith and Sue like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 16, 2017 5:55 pm
by Keith and Sue | 79 Posts

We've used our 365 awning for a total of 22 nights now and are quite happy with it. The beading pulls away from the rail, and we will get round to removing the 80mm per side eventually, but we've used the awning in very blustery weather and it is very stable.

We are also very happy with the weather strip. Now we have installed it half a dozen times, we can manage it in a couple of minutes. I use a pair of padded cycling mitts to cushion the impact with my palm. We had heavy rain in France last week and had only minimal leakage. Best awning we've had from that point of view.

We've come to the conclusion that erecting the Kampa awning would be very difficult for one person. We certainly get a good benefit by making it a team effort.

K&S

2012 Troll 540 - Yeti 2.0 tdi 4x4

likes this post!
Last edited Wed May 17, 2017 4:28 pm | Scroll up

Page 6 of 14 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 next Page »

Visitors
1 Member and 48 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105579 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1