RE: New Kampa awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 22, 2017 10:06 pm
by richardv (deleted)

Hi. I put my weather strip on today. First I forced it to be reasonably straight by attaching it with tape to a long piece of timber and leaving it in the sun. Then I used the end of a spoon to force the opening wider. Even after doing that it was difficult. Trying to attach it while coiled and without the spoon was impossible!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 23, 2017 8:13 pm
by Pauli (deleted)

We returned yesterday and decided our ramblings of last week were due to the difficulties in putting up the Pop Air 365.
Today we put up the awning in the garden, attached to Priscilla, to fit the rain channel we put it into the tumble dryer for 5 mins (the strip not Priscilla) it was still difficult but we did get it on (that means we have to take the tumble drier with us🤣🤣) Then we tried to inflate the awning keeping the kader strip in the awning channel, it cannot be done! Lady D said lets try the carpet (purchased as a special fit for the awning, it did not fit!
Why does Kampa think we will pay £1000 for an awning, carpet and lighting all with the suggestion that they are a special fit for a Troll when in fact it does not unless we the customer take scissors to various areas of their products???
The company is definitely taking the proverbial. Ours is going back tomorrow!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 24, 2017 3:28 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Oh dear, reading these threads is helpful but a touch depressing.

We bought a Kampa PopAir from AL when they first reached the dealers and had high hopes of it being a good addition for longer camps and a replacement for our AL Porch Awning. We haven't had chance to have a play with it yet due to my dodgy hips getting worse. We have booked Crystal Palace site to coincide with Wimbledon Tennis and were going to try it out.

I'm thinking now that it will stay in its bag until later when we get chance to try it out on the drive! I don't want to end up wound up when we are on site.
Mike T

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

I recently purchased a Kampa awning - for my Puck L - the older type with a second higher awning rail above the gutter channel. The extra awning rail is completely STRAIGHT NOT CUVED AT EITHER END LIKE the newer Eribas - BUT IT STILL PULLS OUT OF THE CHANNEL ! ! So it is nonsense for Kampa to suggest cutting the ends off the Kader strip in order to bypass the curves !

The problem I'm convinced, is that the air beam that runs the length of the awning rail is TOO FAT and pulls against the side of the 'van ! forcing the beading out of the channel

As mentioned the extra awning rail is fitted above the gutter - there is NO WAY THE WEATHER STRIP WILL FIT to THIS awning rail - it is a completely different profile to the standard Eriba awning rail !!!!

Despite these problems I have not given up with the Kampa awning - I will do without the weather strip and 'close - up' the ends of the awning channel to make it less liable to pull out ! (but not too tight to make it difficult to thread in when setting up !
Of course these problems are inexcusable for a purpose made awning and mentioned here to warn potential Puck L customers of the possible problems :(

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 24, 2017 10:15 pm
by Pete.B | 2 Posts

Hi
I have been reading this thread with interest as I bought a Kampa PopAir when they were first released & although we have only used it once I am reasonably happy with it although it is still not the holy grail we are all looking for.
My other intrest is with the weather strip.
I have owned 3 Eribas over the last 30 odd years using all sorts of awnings & all of them to a greater or lesser extent have leaked through the awning rail during heavy rain. I first saw a form of Eriba strip in a German forum about 20 years ago & when I tried to purchase one from Movea I was told it would come in a tube as it could not be bent. No good to me as I would not want to attach it permanently.
While doing something else at work I was looking for a seal & came across the attached seal. Fortunately I live near Seals+Direct who at that time were operating from a garage in New Milton so I could actually see it, I bought 3 metres. That was about 15 years ago & I have been using it with almost 100% success ever since.
The big advantage for me is it can be rolled into a coil about 9"dia & held in place with a couple of reusable zip ties. When unrolled it pushes on to the gutter of the awning rail & stays in place pretty well.
The seal is £5.76 ex VAT per meter & might just be worth a look at for the people that are struggling with the plastic ones.
Pete B

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/pdf/ETS1395DR.pdf

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 26, 2017 11:56 am
by Bigmandiddyvan (deleted)

We took out new pop air for the first try to a very local site, thank god we did. It was a nightmare, the 365 does not fit the Troll 550 properly. Full refund from AL on its way, but I may be out of pocket on the postage?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 26, 2017 1:30 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Sorry to hear you've had problems - welcome to the Ex-Kampa Blow-Up Doll Society.

It depends on their returns policy which seems to be lacking on their web site. Assuming you paid postage on the order it would seem a tad unfair to expect you to pay to return an item which is not fit for purpose. Worth an approach to AL perhaps? Cost me a about 3 gallons of diesel - but at least it's gone!

Just trial fitted the Wigo canopy - length matches awning rail to a mm. Nice lead in beading at each end......

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 26, 2017 1:51 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

I found a couple of pictures to show the the side profiles of the awning on the old and new Eribas, they certainly look better on the older models.

kampa-pop-air-pro-290-eriba-caravan-awning-2017.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) kampa-pop-air-pro-eriba-caravan-awning-2017-3jpg.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Pepé Le Pew, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 26, 2017 3:54 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I agree, but I think you have been a bit unfair with your choice of photo as a wide angle lens used.
Look at the tower behind for the distortion.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 26, 2017 4:10 pm
by Bigmandiddyvan (deleted)

Asked AL about postage refund(£58.00 approx) including the manual pump and electric pump that were sent in separate parcels.and there answer was that Kampa still say that the awning is ok and with the cut modification the fit will improve. Absolute rubbish. Once I get my refund in my bank a letter will be winging its way to Kampa uk. If the awning is perfect why are they giving a full refund?????????????. Brian.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 26, 2017 4:27 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

I agree, but I think you have been a bit unfair with your choice of photo as a wide angle lens used.
Look at the tower behind for the distortion.
Colin[/quote]

Now you say it Col your right it is a fish eye lens, I would love to buy one of these awnings if they fitted the new Eribas like the early models, all the pictures I have seen on the later models have a distinct slope away from the van. The video @ 2 minutes 33 seconds still shows it sloping away but not as dramatic as the last picture...

[quote="eribaMotters"|p47065]I

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 26, 2017 5:22 pm
by Keith and Sue | 79 Posts

20170520_190305.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)I must say that we are having hardly any problems with the Kampa 365 on our 540. We've now cut the beading to reduce the length by 80mm per side.

Keith and Sue

2012 Troll 540 - Yeti 2.0 tdi 4x4

Last edited Fri May 26, 2017 5:28 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Keith and Sue wrote in post #117
I must say that we are having hardly any problems with the Kampa 365 on our 540. We've now cut the beading to reduce the length by 80mm per side.

Keith and Sue
That's cheating - you put your clothes rack on wonky to make the awning look straight

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 26, 2017 10:06 pm
by bernardm (deleted)

Been to York this week for 5 nights and put our Pop air awning up took about 20 minutes and is a good fit , I don't know what people are complaining about.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat May 27, 2017 7:35 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

It depends very much on the year and model of your van plus the awning model.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 13 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105678 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5