RE: New Kampa awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat May 27, 2017 3:39 pm
by Bigmandiddyvan (deleted)

By all means you could have borrowed my Troll 550 and my 365 awning and you would have been throwing your toys out of your pram in a very short length of time.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:30 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I'm sitting here in Suffolk beneath my Kampa awning. Good news is fabric is nice and OK to put up. Bad news is despite the Isabella thingies it has pulled out at the track and tore the awning cord. Looks like it will be going back.
I have just bought a Fortex for longer stays, but now need to decide what to do for our week long hops through France on September. I might get one of the Decathlon inflatable base tents and sit it 2m away from the van with the Isabella Shadow stretched over its front.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:57 pm
by Ian Guy (deleted)

I recently cut 8cm of beading from each end of our Kampa Pop-Air, as advised by Kampa. Now much easier to feed through the awning rail, and it doesn't pull out at the ends (Because I've cut them off I suppose!). The awning remains stable and there's been no fraying of the fabric.

Ian
Troll 540 GT & Skoda Superb
Poptop320 and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:39 pm
by bernardm (deleted)

Just returned from 3 weeks in Germany with triton and Kampa 340 awning which was much admired and was a delight to use.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:52 am
by Ian Guy (deleted)

Message for Turbodevil:
Yes, cutting off the 8cm at either end stops it pulling out - I still fit an Isabella Awning Safety Device to each end, though, just to be sure.
I've attached a picture of what I cut off - using a pair of electrician's snips. Before I did it, I took the awning to our local awning repair service, who do a lot of work for Kampa. They assured me that the canvas wouldn't fray, and it hasn't. I'll try to attach the photo.

Beading Adjustment for Kampa Pop-Air.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_3759.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Ian

Randa france and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 am

Ian,Bernard,
what years are your vans?
I have the awning centred perfectly to allow the side rear window on my 2017 430 to open. I have about 150mm of pull out at the rear and none (yet) at the front. If I moved the awing towards the front of the van the mod might work, but I could not use the window or underbed locker.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.

Last edited Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:23 am
by Ian Guy (deleted)

Hi Colin
My Troll 540 is 2014. I have the awning centred too - cutting off the 8cm of beading at each end hasn't affected that.
Ian

Ian
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:32 pm
by bernardm (deleted)

Hi Colin my Triton 430 is 2017 I have done the same as Ian

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:19 am

Ian,Bernard,
thanks for the replies. I have phoned Lowdhams of Nottingham who supplied the awning and van. If they say if I do and the mod and it does not work then it is OK to return it, then I will give it a go.

Colin

and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:09 pm
by Bigmandiddyvan (deleted)

Bit naughty if that's the case because I've just sent my original one back.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:24 am
by fiona (deleted)

Hi, we're considering this awning but we have an omnistor on our 530. Has anyone managed to fit one of these Kampa pop 365 air's around an omnistor???!!!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:37 am
by bernardm (deleted)

It depends which one you have. We have the 6200 which is roof mounted and the Kampa goes on no trouble.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 am
by fiona (deleted)

HI, no it's mounted on the side - by the looks of the pics of the pop 365 it looks like the omnistor would be in the way :(

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:44 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Hi Fiona.
I have no personal experience of the Kampa awning but generally, when an awning has a near vertical upstanding back wall, it depends on where exactly on the curved roof the Omnistore is fitted See diagram:-

Thule Omnistor Position.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:12 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Just a note here as the Thule (Omnistor) 6200 roof mounted awning has been mentioned. I had a long discussion yesterday with my dealer as we have now decided to go the way of having a roof mounted awning fitted.

The 6200 as fitted by a Hymer dealer is essentially the same as that purchased directly from Thule with the only exception being that the usual choice of 4 canvas colours is restricted to one i.e. grey.

The major difference is the adapter that is required and to which the roof mounted awning is attached. Hymer supply one with an integrated LED light system with a switch being located inside the van. This of course necessitates a hole being drilled into the roof in which the cable passes. Perhaps more importantly, the shape of the adapter is somewhat different with the result that there is no overhang. The easiest way to understand this is to imagine holding a straight edge (ruler) vertically when placed along the vans awning rail. This would then simulate the back face of the awning as most, is not all, awning need to be pushed up to achieve a reasonable head height. With the Hymer adapter with built in LED lighting there is, as previously stated, no overhang i.e. 6200/adapter do no overhang the van to the extent that there would be contact with the rear upward wall section of any awning attached to the normal awning rail.

Troll 540 Hymer Adapter.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The shape of the adapter when order directly from Thule is somewhat more bulbous in shape and from various illustrations that the dealer and I studied yesterday it would seem that there would be sufficient overhang of the 6200/adapter to make contact with the rear face of any fitted awning. I feel sure that the attached photos will perhaps make this more understandable.

Thule Hymer SX Adapter.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

We have decided to go with the Hymer supplied adapter with built-in LED lighting with it's smaller profile and requested that the electrical cable be disconnected as this lighting is not really required and with the result that no holes need to be drilled into the roof.

Keith and Sue and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:15 am | Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 51 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105691 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5